The Institute of Experimental Morphology and
Anthropology with Museum is a leading institute in the field of
morphological sciences and anthropology in Bulgaria.
In the last two decades important results have been obtained in
the study of the development, cell-cell interactions and the control
of gametogenesis and hemopoesis in normal and experimental conditions
(influence of hormonal and paracrine factors, chemical and physical
agents, drugs). Original data have been obtained on the biochemical
and morphological changes occurring in the brain and in the peripheral
nervous' system during development (synaptogenesis, myelinogenesis)
and in various experimental models (demyelinization, transsection
and regeneration of the spinal cord, action of neurotropic substances,
etc.). New methods with scientific and applied characteristics have
been developed: methods for histochemical demonstration of hydrolase
enzymes in the cells; production of monoclonal antibodies against
some viruses and rickettsiae causing tick encephalomyelitis and
yellow fever; a method for cryoconservation of the eye cornea, etc.
Medical, biological and anthropological ergonomic characterization
of modern population groups have been performed together with the
development of basic standards BSS; paleoanthropological, paleopathological,
- Light and electron microscopy, histochemical, immunocytochemical and enzymochemical methods
- Biochemical methods for the study of lipids and proteins
- Cell, tissue and organ culture methods
- Hybridoma biotechnology, ELISA, etc.
- Transmission and scanning electron microscopes
- Lamin air boxes and CO2 incubators for tissue cultures
- Preparative ultracentrifuge, equipment for gas, liquid and thin layer chromatography
- Electrophoretic and transblot equipment
- Spectrophotometer, densitometer, etc.
Scientific staff — 47 persons: 1 corresponding member of BAS, 6 professors with DSc degree, 20 assoc. professors, 32 have PhD degrees
The IEMAM was founded in 1995. It is the scientific successor to the Institute of Morphology founded in 1953.