The museum was open on March 21st, 2007. It is the fourth museum in the system of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
The exposition comprise a lot of bone material that presents the physical types of the people, along with information on the diseases and injuries which had left imprints on their bones, and the marks remaining from therapeutical and ritual practices. A number of images from different epochs have been rendered visual by the method of plastic anthropological reconstruction of the head by the skull.
The exposition in the museum is arranged in a chronological order from the Neolithic till the National Revival, against the historical and cultural backdrop and the background of religious concepts obtaining during the different epochs.
There is also an Ossuary, being the only well outfitted one in Bulgaria.
Some exhibits are shown in the smaller exposition "The Man in the Past" in the IEMAM-BAS.
Tel./fax: +359 (02) 871-83-75 e-mail:
1113-Sofia, "Tsarigradsko shose" blvrd. №73